30 Mph x-treme xb 600 60v modification instructions

220 posts / 0 new
Last post
hyperob
hyperob's picture
Re: 30 Mph x-treme xb 600 60v modification instructions

Yeah, I looked at that site and the Nimh are certainly cheaper and appear to have good output. You thinking some sort of custom 60volt config for the XB? If it can be made to fit into the box we already have its defenitely worth looking at when my current set up gives up the ghost.

zerogas
zerogas's picture

yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I also ordered some 4110 Mosfets to upgrade the power capabilities of my controller. :) The stock controller is actually a pretty good unit, it just needs bigger mosfets and capacitors.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

hyperob
hyperob's picture

Hey Zerogas,

When are you gonna attach the wings to that beast? :)

Please post some pics when you do this upgrade. I really want to see what you are going to do.

Cheers

zerogas
zerogas's picture

You betcha!

eRick

Hi everyone. I am new here but just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on a few things. I am in Canada and have a Kaishan K500WS which is our version of the Xtreme XB-508. On my bike below the throttle is a switch that controls Econo and Turbo as they call it. The Grey wire attaches to this. I believe open is Turbo and grounded is Econo. Econo brings us down to around 20 KPH (11-12 mph). I have the schematic for this bike and it shows the Grey wire on a switch going to ground.
I have been happy so far. In Turbo mode it will run 34.9 kph (21.7 mph). Just for reference I am 6'2'' and 270 lbs, so it
moves pretty good. I am as aerodynamic as a barn.
I always run in Turbo mode. My commute is around 8 miles in each direction and I have no trouble running all out as far as battery life. I recharge every evening at home.
Thanks to everyone for the great info.

gushar

Thanks eRick for sharing your experience with the "gray" wires. Apparently our XB600s don't even have the "circuitry" required because the two gray wires which have corresponding male/female plugs on them don't do anything regardless of whether plugged or unplugged. I think mine came "unplugged." I plugged them thinking they were accidentally left unplugged from the factory. I continue to ride with them "plugged" and I get the top speed (20-22 mph)...with no changes anywhere. I prefer to have them plugged just in case they could cause something to short if the pins, etc. touch something...and to keep them from flopping around.

Gushar

Gus

hyperob
hyperob's picture

Hey Zerogas,

What's cookin' in the XB Lab? :)

zerogas
zerogas's picture

Rob, I'm on vacation this week, so I'll be upgrading the mosfets and capacitors in my controller to go 72v. I'm putting (12) 4110 mosfets rated at 100v in place of the stock 62v mosfets. I'm also looking for a brushed motor/chain/sprocket setup for the rad2go sunbird I bought. It's gonna be a fun week! I think I can actually get the sunbird to outrun my xb 600 when it's done!!! LMAO. This is gonna ROCK!

boyelectric

so, zerogas, when you settle on a mod setup that you like and think is reliable, will you take orders?
:)

zerogas
zerogas's picture

I don't think I'll ever be "finished". LOL My next project is to install the motor/controller/sprocket I ordered for the rad2go sunbird I bought. See here... http://visforvoltage.org/forum/4110-rad2go-sunbird-hub-motor-issue#comment-24485 I got it cheap because the guy who owned it before ran through some water and fried the hub motor. I'll be playing with different sprockets to make a rocket out of this thing. The motor I ordered is a 750w 36v brushed motor. Of course it will be seeing 48v. LMAO. I also ordered a brushed controller and the sprocket and chain. All in all, I have spent about $250 so far, so I'll see what happens. You gotta love ebay.

phoenix

Yahoo!!! I just finished the XB-600 mods and I'm now a member of the 30mph club!! For about 10 minutes ....

This is my setup: 12v Rechargeable 7.5 amp battery. Red and black 12 gauge wire spliced in right behind the battery plug, only the black wire and left the red wire alone. Correctly crimped female and male spades in groups just as zerogas described. I took my bike downstairs to test out my new beast and I sailed along at 27 mph (battery pack not fully charged as I'd ridden 12 miles earlier.)

I was enjoying my new club membership (on level ground)when i decided to take on a 30 degree incline out behind my apartment. Previously, my bike consistently choked on this hill before the mods. This time my bike stayed a strong 20mph. The battery gauge showed a full charge, till about halfway up the hill (roughly 2 minutes up) when everything shut off. Lights, motor, everything. Just like a light switch was flicked. I had to jump off the bike to keep from rolling backwards.

Once i was on level ground again i disconnected the 5th battery and reconnected the wires, returning it to 48v, I tried the ignition again and still nothing. I checked the fuse under the seat and it was still good. I checked connections and they appear solid. My question: WHAT HAPPENED? I couldn't have burned out my controller .... these mods are tested to be safe. When i connected my charger to the scooter port, my smart charger showed a green light (it's usually red if the pack needs recharging, which it did.) I removed the pack and now i'm charging it outside the bike without a problem.

Did i short circuit????

-phoenix

mopedbrainy

replug battery pack. It probably got disconnected from the bike on the incline.YOU'll be good to go by now .OHMMMM!

Oshawaebiker
Oshawaebiker's picture

Phoenix The fact that your charger goes to green as soon as you plugged it in usually indicates an open circuit to the battery.
You may have checked the fuse visually but did you check it with a meter. The fuse may have just fractured rather than blown. If not sure replace the fuse and try that. It is also possible you have a bad connection or crimp of one of your wires at the battery. Check that none of the connectors are just crimped on the wire jacket. Plus all connectors (crimps) should be soldered.
I hope this helps.

E-Bike Advocate

Bike: 2008 Volt Canada Dream Ryder

phoenix

Thanks, that really did help!

I dug alittle deeper and found the little green 30 fuse inside a little black cup under the seat. I took it out and saw that it is completely demolished. Right where the fuse bridge was, it's now completely melted, burned, and bubbly. I wonder what happened to cause that??

I won't be re-attaching the 5th battery until I can be sure no more 30 amps fuses will get blown. Is my wiring to the 5th battery wrong? I'm not an electrician but i can follow directions pretty well. I never even soldered anything before doing the shunt mod but my shunt mod is working very nicely (i actually did that mod first, 2 weeks ago and have no problems with it). I just take my time with new experiences to do them carefully.

thank you again, why would that 30 amp fuse blow so dramatically??

-phoenix

zerogas
zerogas's picture

Phoenix,
The same thing happened to Hyperob. You can get a new fuse holder at Wal-Mart for under $3, just wire it in and get some good BUSS 30a fuses. You're all set. In other news, last night I upgraded my controller with 100v 4110 mosfets and 100v capacitors. I put the 6th battery back on, and Whammmoooo, 35MPH !! Look here for the video link....
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/4275-72v-35mph-xtreme-xb-600-video-link-here
Have fun and keep modding,
Warren

Oshawaebiker
Oshawaebiker's picture

The shunt mod increases the current limit of the controller. Thus there was more current available to the motor and you exceeded the limit of the fuse. Without using the proper resistive wire for the mod you have probably increased the current limit way beyond 30 amps.
You may want to consider using a 30 amp AGU fuse and holder as it will handle current spikes at that voltage better.

E-Bike Advocate

Bike: 2008 Volt Canada Dream Ryder

hyperob
hyperob's picture

Hey Phoenix,

Yeah the same thing happened to me but the fuse was not properly installed in mine but replacing the holder and getting some good fuses has solved the problem. The other thing to do is not leave the throttle open all the way going up steep inclines. I roll it back a notch and it still climbs great.

I picked up a fuse holder and new fuses at Radio Shack for like 8 bucks. The fuses from RS are way better quality than the stock one that came with the bike.

You should be back up and running once you swap the fuse and holder.

Best of luck.

mopedbrainy

IT seems that blowing the fuse is like the badge of honorsfor the modding - which worth very little without the extra batt.Blown on both my bikes .Once the proper gauged wire was used both have been working fine.

sbmguy

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and I just have a couple of questions/concerns:

I bought my xb500 when i lived in a location that was plain, so it had no problems like going uphill, but i just recently moved to SF Bay Area, and my xb500 is just not cutting it on the uphill. I have looked around the forum, and I am wondering what would be my best solution and I would really like suggestions. I'm considering either upgrading to an xb600 and then attempting a 60V mod, or just doing the 60V mod to the xb500. I don't know if the 60V mod can be done to the xb500, or if it would be enough, or if the xb600 with the 60V mod would be enough either. Right now, I just have a normal xb500, and looking for something that will make it uphill. Thanks a lot.

hyperob
hyperob's picture

I would try doing the shunt mod first on the xb500 if possible. If that works out you could try adding another battery but realistically I think if you live in a pretty hilly area I would look elsewhere than the X-Treme bikes for serious hill climbing. While the modded 600 climbs fairly well, I would imagine some component burnout at an accelerated rate if hill climbing is a large part of the ride. Tha'ts my 2 cents.

boyelectric

So, ignorant that I am, would a crystalyte 5000 series motor be able to be used in place of the stock motor on the xb600?

solarcharger

O.K. Here's one I need assistance on....Have done the shunt mod. Been riding quite a bit with no problems at all. Yesterday, after applying the front brake, then throttling up from a standing stop, I noticed a buzz or "shuddering" sensation coming from the motor. Like it was trying to "catch" and engage. It finally stopped and ran fine. Today, the same thing but with more pronounced buzzing and shuddering. Always after applying the front brake. Then finally, after "shuddering" a few seconds, DEAD! But I have checked the fuses and they are fine. And the motor shows continuity with a meter. So whadaya think? Controller blown? Thanks in advance, guys.

mopedbrainy

Giving more details would be helpful. If there is power for lights , horn, etc-check both brake push out switches at the handlebars.If no dice try reading from the controller's three thick wires going to the motor.

solarcharger

Sorry about that, I did forget a few details. Have complete power to everything, including brake light, but absolutely no response at all from the throttle. On the wires coming from the controller, aren't there 3 going to the motor? which 2 should I check with the meter? Also, another question...under the instrument panel where the cable from the throttle ties in, is a small circuit board with a potentiometer in the center. Does anyone know what it's for?

mopedbrainy

not the throttle.read from the three thick wires going from the controller to the motor one of those should be disconnected-or hopefully one of the brakes stuck.And yeah then activate the throttle. See also Milleym's (Groovy) diagram.

solarcharger

I see three wires coming from the controller to the motor; one is green, one is blue, and one is black; which of these two should I be checking for current? I have disconnected the front brake wiring from the harness but still no go. I have also replaced the controller with a spare I had on hand. It is looking more and more like the motor might have shot craps. Anyone have any ideas?

zerogas
zerogas's picture

You've burned a wire. These motors are too tough for 60v to hurt them. Also, open your controller and look around again. Make sure the shunt didn't touch the case or something. This may sound odd, but does your speedo peg out when you turn the key on? If it does, you've blown a mosfet. The shuddering would point to a blown capacitor though. :( Worth a look.

win32forth
win32forth's picture

Ok Zerogas,

i know I am behind the curve, but I am sneaking up slowly.

I ordered the XM-2000 60v charger and an XB-600 12v 20A battery last night from xtreme.

I have enjoyed the shunt mod, but I would like a bit more speed. I note that the battery seems to discharge about twice as much as before the shunt mod, on my daily 5 mile (total) trip, but it still only barely comes off of full on the voltage.

You know at the rate that I am buying parts, it won't be too much longer before I will have spent the total cost of the XM-3000! Oh, well, at least I don't have to register it, or insure it.

Tom

eRick

I had ordered the XM-2000 charger for my 60 volt mod, but ubfortunately Xtreme ships by Fed Ex and it was another $77
plus Fed Ex chargers brokerage fees to ship to Canada. So it was going to be double the cost to buy it. Does anyone know of a Canadian distributor to purchase a 60 volt charger from? I have to charge the extra battery with a regular charger now and it's a pain. i want to permanently mount the battery under the storage compartment but can't do this until I get a new charger.

eRick

JamesS
JamesS's picture

eRick,you might try
Extreme Scooters
201 South Railway Ave
Winkler, MB
R6W 1J9
(204) 331-4244

Fun-Time E-Scooters
619 Edmonton Trail NE
Calgary, AB
T2E 3J3
(403) 697-8835

Just a thought

Happy scooting,
JamesS

Happy scooting,
JamesS

Pages

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage